Sunday, July 19, 2009

Perfection: A Memoir of betrayal and renewal



RATING: 3 out of 5


Perfection is about almost everything but perfection. It is about death, marriage, family, children, lies, adultery, deceit, betrayal, loss, self-destruction, and on and on.

Julie Metz was living one life until her husband died unexpectedly. She then learned that it had been a fraud for quite some time. How long she was not even sure about. The fraud was not on her part but on the part of her husband as well as many friends, some well meaning, and others by outright betrayal. She had a six yr. old daughter and life to try to salvage from this wreck. Suffering a loss of a loved one is hard enough without having to relive your life and inspect all the episodes to find the memories you want to keep, and those that now have to be thrown away.

This book is a raw, honest exposure of relationships. Sometimes it is too raw, too honest, too exposing, almost like you are looking through someone’s bedroom window. I am sure that not everyone could put themselves out there for the scrutiny of all, but Ms. Metz does, and I take my hat off to her for taking such risks. I think she took the risks as a means of cleansing and healing herself .

There were parts of this book that were difficult or maybe the word is uncomfortable for me to read. It felt like I was receiving too much information. There was still this lack of self assurance on her part that disturbed me. The whole section devoted to her Match.com escapades could have been omitted, and the story would still have survived. I felt Henry had left his mark on her, and I wondered would she ever regain all her love of self.

No comments:

Post a Comment